Couture class: French designer jacket (14 weeks)
Unlock the couture techniques and secrets behind the classic French jacket.
Level up your capabilities through a structured 14-week class built around the creation of your personalized version of this culture classic.
From muslin beginnings to the engineering marvels of construction, creating this timeless masterpiece is as challenging as it is rewarding. Turn heads with this coveted jacket and feel proud of what you have accomplished.
You will learn:
- Muslin pattern construction and fit perfection
- Sewing without a seam allowance to ensure a custom fit
- How to layer boucle and silk charmeuse to create a luxury feel
- Use of weighted elements and specialty trim
- Couture construction techniques, including camouflage quilting and three-piece sleeves
Students should have an intermediate to advanced level of sewing experience.
Space is limited to six students. This is a 14-week course; students will attend the formal instruction portion on Saturdays at Sandy’s studio in NW Calgary for three hours each week (10 a.m. to 1 p.m.) from January to April. Classes start on Saturday, Jan. 12 run through until Saturday, April 27 (no classes on Feb. 16 and April 20). Students can expect to have about three hours of homework to complete in between each class.
The 14-week course is $1,650 + GST and includes the following:
- 42 hours of personalized instruction time in Sandy’s studio
- Access to use sewing machines and tools during class time
- Your very own couture kit:
- Source pattern
- Weighted chain and hooks for closures
- Muslin and specialty thread
- Package of high-quality sewing needles from Japan
- Beeswax for thread-strengthening
- Waxed tracing paper
- Chakoner Chalk Marker
- Clover forked pins
- Tracing wheel
Students will be responsible for purchasing their boucle and silk charmeuse (budget approximately $300) however, are encouraged not to purchase these until after the first class, where Sandy will provide an approved vendors list.
In the event you must cancel, a full refund minus a $100 processing fee, will be returned to you provided we receive your refund request in writing 30 days prior to the start date.